Hannah Notess's Reviews > When God Talks Back: Understanding the American Evangelical Relationship with God

When God Talks Back by T.M. Luhrmann

Mar 01, 15

Read from February 12 to 25, 2015

Anyone who wants a better understanding of American Evangelicalism should read this book; it's wonderful. Although her fieldwork is done in a Vineyard church, so it's focused mostly on the charismatic strain of evangelicalism, that strain is so influential in the broader evangelical movement - particularly through music and practices of spirituality - that I think it's really worth a good look.

There's something really refreshing to me about talking about spiritual practices in the academic languages of psychology and anthropology – maybe because I find oftentimes the way other Christians talk about their spiritual experiences confusing. I'm not the type of person who hears God all the time, so oftentimes I feel like they're talking right past me.

What Luhrmann finds: Spiritual disciplines and prayer practices really do change the mind and open it to experiences of God. Maybe that could even happen for someone like me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When God Talks Back.

02/12/2015 marked as: currently-reading