Randy's Reviews > The Lost World

U 50x66
May 16, 2012

liked it
Read from May 13 to 16, 2012

A new novel of our favorite monster hunter. Like so many fictional characters, Carl Kolchak never ages. He first appeared some forty plus years ago, but in THE LOST WORLD he is fortyish. He's gone from typewriters and cameras with film to word processors and digital cameras. In novel time, it's only been two years since he first killed his vampire in Las Vegas.

For once, Kolchak is being taken seriously. He managed to track down and get a serial killer's confession, then getting him to surrender.

He's on his way to a fete set up by other reporters in his honor when he runs into a monk type that has something to show him. In a Buddhist temple, he's shown a number of candles burning and gets the pronouncement that "the seventy-two must always be." Seventy-two candles burning.

At the party for him, he learns something else. The State department wants a team of reporters to go down into Ecuador to investigate the war between two drug lords that threaten to sill over into a sacred area. Kolchak is to be team leader.

It doesn't take long for things to start to go wrong. One drug baron takes the team and Kolchak learns he was specially requested by the man and would only allow a news team in if he was along.

Bad feeling here.

The lost city, a number of legends said, said held a power. No one was sure what the seventy-two did, only that they guarded the entrance. The drug lord wanted Kolchak for his affinity with the bizarre to help get them into the city.

Not a bad story, it tended to wander a bit for me. Short, 128 pages(124 of story), there was even a subplot touched on that made no sense, never developed. I may be wrong, but I think the story was based on one of Moonstone's comic book scripts and this subplot may be a running thread. I don't know, but maybe should have been left out.

Not bad, but I expected better from the first new prose Kolchak in a few years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost World.