Leslie's Reviews > What I Didn't Say

What I Didn't Say by Keary Taylor

Apr 24, 13

bookshelves: romance, young-adult, favorites
Read from May 15 to 16, 2012

If you know me on GR, you know I usually don't read YA books. Not because they're necessarily unenjoyable or not well written, simply because I can't always relate to the high school drama and immaturity. That being said, this story received great reviews and ratings so I decided, (in my constant search for something "different"), to take the plunge. I am very grateful I did.

Jake Hayes and his large family live on a small island off the coast of Washington state. The community is tight-knit and no one does anything without EVERYONE knowing. Samantha, "Sam" is the new girl at school and catches Jake's eye right off the bat. She's smart, she's beautiful and Jake doesn't know how and is too scared to tell her about the deep feelings he's beginning to develop for her. One night, after a party involving alcohol, Jake makes a horribile decision and gets into a truck driven by an equally drunk driver. That choice changes his life forever as the accident drives a t-post into his neck, ripping out his vocal chords. Weeks later and lucky to be alive, Jake reluctantly returns to school; without his voice and with the horrific scars on his neck, as a constant reminder. Jake thinks his life is over. His love for flying, playing sports and even going into the Airforce has been permanently ripped away. However, his love for Samantha remains, and to his surprise, he finds she can offer a talent he didn't know she possessed to help his disability.

Sam's living situation, however, is a different story. Her life has been going steadily downhill since her mother's illness. The weight on her shoulders and her commitment to keep her grades up, leaves devastating affects on her physical appearance. Soon everyone notices and unfortunately for Sam, things are going to get a whole lot worse. Suddenly, for Jake, his life changing accident dosen't seem so tragic.

This book seriously surprised me. I wasn't expecting so much poignancy and depth. My GR friend, Karla, said it perfectly when she responded to one of my status updates while reading this story by saying, "It kind of punches you in the gut, dosen't it?" Wow, does it ever. I'm actually thinking this book should be required reading for all high school students. It's witty, it's tragic, it's heart wrenching, and it's a.b.s.o.l.u.t.e.l.y. lovely!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What I Didn't Say.

05/16/2012 "Okay, I'm putting this book on hold and starting The Opportunist!, my curiosity is killing me!!!"
05/19/2012 "Wow, this story is surprising me! It's very poignant...especially for a YA!" 14 comments
05/20/2012 "One of my favorite songs is haunting me as I read this book. Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5QA7S..." 5 comments

Comments (showing 1-22)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Michelle [Helen Geek] Splain please? Book emergency. I may want one too..? Please?

Leslie The Opportunist!! I've started it since three of my GR friends have become a complete emotional mess after reading it and can't even review it! I. Am. Getting. To. The. Bottom. Of. This!! I WILL review this book if it kills me!!!

Michelle [Helen Geek] I have this one. Keep me posted. One of my new GR friends rec'd it to me as her fav all time book last week. I bought it, but haven't read yet. Let. Me. Know.!

Leslie Oh, I will, trust me!! ;-)

Michelle [Helen Geek] I'm on chapter three .. it is a bit different and not sure what I think yet. Leslie?

Leslie Girl, I'm at the part where they finally made cake after having a food fight. Not sure, yet...

Michelle [Helen Geek] And, your review is lovely. I've added it and will read it when I'm on one of my YA kicks. Thank you for this!

Leslie thank you, Michlle...that was so sweet!! You made my night... oxo

Karla Great review Michelle!! I'm having trouble letting go of this one and find myself re-reading my favorite parts over and over. I agree with you, this should be a required read for any teen that's about to get behind the wheel!

Leslie I agree, Karla! Thanks for your sweet words! :)

message 12: by Jill (last edited May 20, 2012 05:13PM) (new)

Jill Very tempting. I don't read YA either, Leslie but this sounds very good. I'll certain put it on my to-ponder list. Wonderful review, my friend!

Leslie Wow, thank you, Jill! That means a lot coming from you! :)

Kellie is a bookwhoreasaurus I love YA and I'm not afraid to say so! This was already on my TBR list but I wanted to let you know I liked your review! If it wasn't already on there this review would of made me add it. Well done o_O

Leslie Thank you so much, Kellie!! I appreciate your kind words!!

Leslie Thanks, Baba!!

message 6: by Tom (new) - added it

Tom This book keeps popping on and off of my radar. The off has been I'm kinda on a YA ban right now and then I see a review like yours and might have to rethink this one.

Gitte - TotallyBookedBlog Just stuck this one on my list! Great review :0)

Leslie Gitte wrote: "Just stuck this one on my list! Great review :0)"

Thank you, Gitte! It was really well done!

Leslie Tom wrote: "This book keeps popping on and off of my radar. The off has been I'm kinda on a YA ban right now and then I see a review like yours and might have to rethink this one."

Tom, you know how much I normally steer away from YA, but I have read some really good ones lately, and the one is no exception. Loved it!

message 2: by Anne OK (new) - added it

Anne OK Wonderful review, Leslie! I have this on my TBR list and might have to move it on up after reading your review.

Leslie Awww, thanks, Anne!! It's such a great book and I just didn't expect that! ;)