Tim Hicks's Reviews > Holmes on the Range

Holmes on the Range by Steve Hockensmith

May 11, 12

Recommended for: People who are OK with a western mystery and dry humour
Read in May, 2012

Wal, I reckon I just done had me a real fine ole read there.

You might not like this if you don't care for characters who say "Yup," but if yer one a them, what in tarnation were ya readin' this here book fer?

This is my second Red/Red novel, and better than the first (which was the one at the Chicago Exposition, and quite good).

The two Reds are a good pair, and the author has done a good job of making them equivalent to Holmes and Watson without being just a knock-off. Their back story is believable and gives their characters good shape.

Any Holmes-like plot has to be complicated, so complicated that only a Holmesian brain can figure it out. This one meets that requirement, and is reasonably plausible. The clues have to be fairly clear once explained, and not so much before that. Check.

I particularly liked the part near the end where Gustav gathers everyone in a room and describes exactly where everyone is sitting. Pure Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe.

I'll be reading the rest of the series, and the short stories, real soon now, y'all hear?
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holmes on the Range.

Natalie The dialogue in the audio book version may be double the pleasure ;) the voice actor seems to have a good time w it