Shawna's Reviews > More Than a Stranger

More Than a Stranger by Erin Knightley

Jun 17, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance, historical-romance-regency, rt-book-reviews-4-stars, love-letters-diary-correspondence, childhood-ties-friends-sweethearts, friends-to-lovers, kindle, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, masquerade-hide-your-face-identity, offlimits-bf-likekidsister-jailbait, mystery-intrigue-espionage-subplot, erin-knightley, kindle-sample-enticed-me, 2012-reads, action-packed, first-book-in-a-series, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-besotted-so-smitten-its-sexy, hero-brooding, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, heroine-badgirl-improper-scandalous, heroine-beautiful-bombshell, heroine-bluestocking-unconventional, heroine-country-lass, heroine-free-spirit-quirky, heroine-hoyden, heroine-in-pursuit, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-miss-independent, heroine-naïve-virgin-like-a-virgin, heroine-odd-spinster-wallflower, heroine-plucky-lively-feisty-spunky, heroine-sassy-full-of-attitude, heroine-tomboy-lady-in-pants, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, hh-bad-communication-conflict-mgmt, hh-big-constant-misunderstandings, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, hh-on-the-run-in-hiding, hh-resist-cause-im-no-good-for-you, hh-spy-agent-for-crown-and-country, hr-regency-napoleonic-era-wars, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, i-read-kindle, revenge-deception-secrets-lies, reunions-are-sweeter-second-chances, steam-1-tepid, unrequited-love-crush, hero-gentleman, 3-stars
Recommended for: Fans of witty historicals, friends to sweethearts theme, & G/PG clean romance
Read from June 16 to 17, 2012

3 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

This is a pretty good debut, and I enjoyed the author’s writing style and the witty banter between the H/h and the siblings. It features some of my favorite plot devices...heroine crushing on older brother’s best friend, childhood friends/sweethearts maturing over amusing, flirtatious correspondence, seemingly unrequited love, and quirky family relationships.

Unfortunately, the deception, intrigue, mystery, and suspense part of the storyline didn’t work as well and that combined with the fact that Benedict and Evie share nothing more than a few kisses dragged down my rating. The HEA felt rushed and just wasn’t as sweet or satisfying enough for me without a single love scene between the H/h. (view spoiler) That’s this avid romance reader’s modest opinion, anyhow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read More Than a Stranger.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ally72 Great review, Shawna...You really stated everything I thought too. I was just hoping you would maybe have a better experience than I did with it. I had such high hopes for this storyline too. Hopefully, the next book we will read will be better.

Shawna Thanks, Ally! I was mostly disappointed with the zero steam factor, but the author's writing showed promise. Hopefully she'll improve in that area and heat things up in future books!

Ally72 My thoughts exactly because I think there is a ton of potential in her writing!