Kate McMurray's Reviews > Rock and a Hard Place

Rock and a Hard Place by Jane Davitt

May 11, 2012

bookshelves: m-m, romance
Read in August, 2012

I really enjoyed this book. There are tropes here that haven't worked for me in other books but somehow totally work here. The plot is a little contrived, but it doesn't really matter, because it's a lot of fun: put two people who hate each other on a deserted island and wait for the fireworks. It plays out in the predictable way—and the sex scenes are really hot—but the first half of the book is really well done. The authors even took two characters that aren't that likable—Sean does have a chip on his shoulder, Andrew is kinda spoiled—and made me care about what happens to them. The characters are deeply flawed but complex and nuanced enough to be sympathetic, plus each helps the other get over some of his old resentments, and they're better people for having known each other by the end of the novel. The only flaw for me is that the main conflict of the novel is resolved so easily that I wondered what all the fuss was about earlier, although a new conflict is introduced almost immediately, so there's still enough tension to carry through to the end of the story.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rock and a Hard Place.