Bonnie's Reviews > I Suck at Girls

I Suck at Girls by Justin Halpern

Jul 05, 12

bookshelves: funny-ha-ha, audiobooks, adult, library
Read from July 03 to 05, 2012

After loving the random tweets from Justin Halpern I was ecstatic to read his debut full-length novel. Sh*t My Dad Says was absolutely hilarious and had me laughing profusely. Clearly, I was on board for anything else this man came out with.

Unfortunately it was a pretty huge disappointment as far as what I was anticipating. I Suck at Girls chronicles the authors bad experiences with girls which dates back to his early childhood. Obviously the intention of these stories is humor; however, I ended up feeling sorry for the poor guy more than anything. His first crush gets him in trouble after he spends all night drawing her one seriously disturbing picture, his dream prom ends up being a nightmare, he doesn't lose his virginity until he's 20, the first two people he slept with ended up leaving town shortly after... the list goes on. We see a lot less of 'dad' in this one and he was definitely the highlight of the story. Considering I can count the number of times I laughed out loud on a single hand (and they were only short chuckles at that) and the fact that the writing itself was less than mediocre and the humor felt forced this one does not receive high marks from me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Suck at Girls.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin Hey Bonnie, sorry you didn't enjoy this one as much. Thanks for taking a read, though.

Justin

Bonnie Thanks, Justin. I hope I can look forward to more from you in the future!

Suzanne Colligan really? I didn't read his first one but now I can't wait. I read this in a restaurant and earned some looks for laughing by myself. Sam is definitely the star but Justin gives perspective and has zingers of his own.

Lisa Bridget I absolutely love this book, it's by far been the funniest book I've ever read. Now that I've read this one, I look forward to reading the first one "shit my dad says".

Julie Orman ditto exactly what Lisa said. Justin Halpern is the funniest living writer, IMHO.

Bonnie That's fantastic, guys. CLEARLY I didn't feel the same.

Karen This isn't a novel!