Ami's Reviews > Talk of the Town

Talk of the Town by Karen Hawkins

May 13, 12

bookshelves: romance
Read from May 11 to 13, 2012

Roxie Treymayne decided to celebrates her divorce with radical change. She bleached her hair blonde, had her navel pierced, and got a tattoo on her right ass cheek. But before she went to Paris, like she planned, her brother, Mark, came to tell her that their mother had heart attack. So, Roxie came back to Glory, North Carolina, with Mark to visit and take care of their mother. And guess who Roxie first met, when her red-hot ’68 Mustang went over the limit? Former bad boy Nick Sheppard, who was now Sherrif of Glory, whom Roxie had a relationship with for a brief four weeks of "mindless, all-absorbing passion" in high school.

....

I found this title when browsing "Readers Also Enjoyed" section at Goodreads, after finishing a story by Barbara Freethy. I was intrigued with the blurb. Second chance is one of my favorite tropes. So I decided to give it a try, even if I never read this author before.

Turned out that I made the right decision ... The story hooks me from the early chapter, chapter 3 to be exact, when I find out that the reason for Roxie's divorce is that her husband has an ummm, transvestite lover. I choked on that and then giggling like crazy.

Roxie is smart and loveable. While it is easy for Roxie as character to wallow in misery after the divorce, it is not the case. In fact, she is determined to throw cautions to the wind and channel the wild and reckless side of her.

Nick, on the other hand, is former bad boy gone good. Nick used to be a cop in Atlanta, but after helping Internal Affairs took down his own partner, Nick was ostracized by his fellow officers. I love how he tries to go by the book and calculate his moves on Roxie because he doesn't want to make the same mistake that his old partner make -- but ends up unable to fight their chemistry anyway :)

The rest of the secondary characters are HOOTS and I love everyone of them. From Mark, Roxie's big brother, who seems pragmatic but still charming. Then Tundy, Roxie's housekeeper, who steals every scene she is in. Susan, the sassy country dispatcher. And of course, the old folks group at Pine Hills Assisted Living Center, who named themselves Murder Mystery Club. They pine over Gil Grissom, watch CSI episodes and making havoc as they try to solve the "mystery" of the death of one of the residents at the Living Center. In fact, this mystery is one of the plots in the book, aside from the romance between Roxie and Nick.

I love the small town feels -- along with the fast grapevines of gossips and the wacky townspeople ... I definitely will pick up the sequel soon. It's Mark's story!!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talk of the Town.

05/11/2012
14.0% "Oh, God, Tundy is one hilarious character!"
05/12/2012
55.0% "these folks are really fun!"
05/12/2012