Steve Bedford's Reviews > Outliers: The Story of Success

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

Jun 30, 12

bookshelves: financial-business
Read from June 14 to 30, 2012

I wanted this book to be better than it was for me. I think it got a little too hyped. Many have said it was Gladwell's best, but I wasn't blown away. His main point is that great success depends on great opportunity. This seems rather obvious, though probably overlooked more often than not. Worth the read, but wasn't overly impressed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outliers.

06/17/2012
20.0% "Pretty interesting so far (as you would expect from Gladwell). Just read the chapter about 10,000 hours, makes me wish I didn't waste so much time playing videogames as a kid."
06/18/2012
37.0% "Chapter 1: Opportunity matters (birth month of hockey players, computer terminals, etc)
Chapter 2: Practice matters (10,000 hours)
Chapter 3: Geniuses are smart,
Chapter 4: But creative thinking matters more, if you're already a genius."
06/18/2012
46.0% "Interesting (but too long) chapter about how the children of early 20th century jewish immigrants who worked in the clothing business went on to be outcast lawyers (because the big firms didn't want jews) who had to do mundane work the big firms wouldn't take, thus setting up these outcast 2nd/3rd gen immigrant lawyers perfectly for the shift to hostile takeovers in the 1970's that the big firms weren't ready for."
show 1 hidden update…