Faith's Reviews > Miss Match

Miss Match by Erynn Mangum

4151972
Mar 10, 15

bookshelves: e-books, it-was-free-so-why-not, romance, romantic-comedy, did-not-finish, chick-lit, i-own-it
Read from May 11 to 14, 2012

I couldn't finish this book. First, it's pretty much a contemporary Christian retelling of Emma (which is my least favorite Austen novel). I don't necessarily mind reading novels with Christian protagonists but I did feel that Christianity was beat over my head. There were constant references to Biblical verses (without any actual quotations) that flew over my head. I wasn't motivated enough to get my Bible and actually look them up. The way the novel was described on Amazon, one can easily be mislead into thinking that this is not a Christian contemporary chick lit novel.

Also, the protagonist was not engaging and interesting enough for me to really care about her story or how it ended. She's rather immature and arrogant. She has an incessant need to match up EVERYONE so they can marry. Yet, she has no desire to marry herself and wants to live with her dad forever. Now, I know that in Emma, this is exactly what Emma does herself. However, in a modern context, this isn't endearing and it makes the protagonist seem immature and hypocritical.

I'm glad that I didn't actually spend any money on this novel. The only thing I lost reading this novel was some of my time.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Match.