Sharon Lippincott's Reviews > Elephant Girl: A Human Story

Elephant Girl by Jane Devin

7202737
May 11, 12

Read from April 10 to 25, 2012 — I own a copy

“All stories are true. Some stories happened.” This is how I intended to begin this review. As I read Elephant Girl, from the initial gut-wrenching description of elephant training to the enigmatic conclusion, I kept reminding myself that even though this story sounded for all the world like memoir, it was really fiction. It was fiction with a political agenda of showing the enduring evils of child abuse compounded by the insanity of governmental and other quasi-support systems that have holes in their safety nets large enough for 747s to fly through.

No one life is big enough to have endured this much trauma, I told myself, mostly to remain consistent with the genre description I thought I’d read. This much Truth requires fiction to credibly tell in such concentrated form, I reasoned. Then I clicked over to author Jane Devin’s website and was stunned to discover that the book reads like a memoir because it is in fact a memoir. Apparently one life IS big enough to have endured so much trauma and live to tell the tale.

Elephant Girl is a tale of hard truth. It’s a tale of violence on many levels — physical, sexual and emotional, of betrayal at nearly every turn and fear motivation above all. The overriding metaphor of the elephant training process is an apt one, uniquely suited to Devin’s life experience that so closely parallels that of the elephant trainee. In multiple ways Devin’s body betrays her, beginning to resemble that of an elephant. At the same time, this is a tale of enduring human spirit, determined to beat the odds, that triumphs in a surprising way.

This story is true. This story did happen. This story is worth reading, for the inspiration of Devin’s amazing thought processes, and especially for those who may need a reminder that our very broken support systems need so badly to be fixed. It has certainly moved me to look for more ways I can make a difference in helping to bring about needed reforms. I urge others to read this tough story, consider the same question, and act on your answers. If enough of us ask and act, change must occur. That is the power of Story. I thank her for having the courage to share hers.

This review was originally published at StoryCircleBookReviews
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Elephant Girl.