Kate's Reviews > Living Dead Girl

Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott

Sep 20, 08

bookshelves: 2008, age-ya
Recommended to Kate by: YALSA listserv
Recommended for: older high school age & up
Read in September, 2008

I received this book from the author--I was surprised that it was an actual hardcover and not an ARC. I had wanted to read it because while the book's description was compelling, it also sounded very disturbing and possibly way too graphic for my library's YA collection--so I was happy to receive a free copy in order to review it without spending the money and possibly deciding not to put it in the collection.

This book is marketed as a YA title (the imprint is SimonSaysTEEN). While the story is about a girl who has been kidnapped and sexually (as well as emotionally & physically) abused for five years, it is not graphic. Most of the abuse scenes are left more to the imagination. That being said, there are references to rape and oral sex, as well as heavy profanity (that's just in the first 20 pages or so).

The story was gripping--I had to finish it before I went to bed, I couldn't stand not knowing the outcome. It was a fast enough read that this was possible. I think it is important, because it addresses the issue of how people think the victim of a crime like this should just run away or somehow get help, but how the abuse prevents them emotionally from being able to do so. It was disturbing and I would recommend it for older high school students.

I haven't read anything else by Elizabeth Scott, but I did order Bloom recently and hopefully I will get a chance to read it--I have a feeling that this book was a departure from her usual fare (which I have heard described as being similar to Sarah Dessen).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Dead Girl.