Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > The Bride of Casa Dracula

Sep 23, 08

bookshelves: 2008-reads, queuemyreview
Read in September, 2008

Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Sep08
I wavered between 2.5 and 3 stars on this one.
Have I mentioned how much I love books lately? Well, I do. One of the greatest things about books is that what doesn’t ‘work’ for one reader will very likely work for many others. I’m guessing that’s probably the case with “The Bride of Casa Dracula” by Marta Acosta. This is Acosta’s third book starring Milagro De Los Santos. I think it would be beneficial to read the first two books to get a little more of the ‘back story’.

Milagro was made a vampire against her will and is somewhat of a miracle as so few survive the ‘change’. She is not exactly your ‘average’ vampire and doesn’t have any desire to ‘feed’ on humans. Milagro is very happy now that she’s about to marry into the family she’s grown to love. Her own childhood was a nightmare with a horrible mother and her yearning for love and a family is finally coming to fruition. She is, however, having difficulty with the thought of a ‘blood exchange’ with her husband-to-be although she’s already had some of his blood in a life-threatening event in an earlier book, she’s really not a human blood kind of gal…she’d much rather get her already bagged from animals!

Milagro is having a few problems. For instance: she keeps running into Ian who she’s incredibly attracted to, her best buddy has fired her wedding planners and intends to do the job herself, her ‘wedding counselor’ assigned by the vamp council is her hubby-to-be’s EX, she has to learn how and sew robes for a ‘real’ vamp wedding, the vamp council wants her to swear loyalty to them instead of the US, and it seems that someone is trying to kill her! As if planning a wedding isn’t stressful enough!

I don’t know if it’s my age, my lineage, or my vocabulary, but I just didn’t ‘get’ this book. There were certainly places where I found myself laughing out loud, but there were more places where I found myself hopelessly unamused and wondering what the author intended. I didn’t find Milagro intelligent, or very likeable. The villain of the piece was clear to me from the get go and it became very irritating when Milagro kept ‘missing it’. It was also very obvious that Milagro was more enamored of her fiance’s family than the man himself so I quit caring about the whole wedding issue fairly early. And I found Milagro and her friends more of an unflattering and unpleasant Latino parody than anything else. I’m hoping that was the author’s intention.

“The Bride of Casa Dracula” would probably appeal to a younger audience and one more in tune with Latino culture. I’m pretty sure that if the author, Marta Acosta, were not Latina, they would be lambasted for their unflattering portrayal of the culture. BUT, having said that, I can see how this would be a scream for those more comfortable than I. So, if you like a bit of Latina flavor with your paranormal chicklit, then pick up a copy (of the first book, please) and enjoy!
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bride of Casa Dracula.

Jackie I'm glad I wasn't the only one left a bit flat by this book--I sincerely hope that the characters were fleshed out better in the first two books because they sure weren't in this one. I kinda felt like there was a sense of "you had to be there" to much of the storyline, and I wasn't.

Julie (jjmachshev) Yeah, I had her earlier books on a 'maybe' list...now it's more 'maybe not'
J

Jackie I'm torn about that--like I wouldn't be giving her a fair shot if I didn't read at least the first one. But then, there are plenty of great books already patiently waiting for me on my shelves, so......

message 4: by colleen (new) - added it

colleen I gave the first book two stars. I was hoping the series would get better, but you two have dashed my optimistic hopes. I'll at least put this at the bottom of my TBR list, maybe even skip it. Thanks. :)

Jackie ohhhhhhhhhhhh....maybe I'll get over my guilt and move on then! Thanks! :)