Kalen's Reviews > A Wedding in Haiti

A Wedding in Haiti by Julia Alvarez

May 13, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads
Read from May 11 to 12, 2012

On the surface, this is a simple book--Julia and Bill travel to Haiti for Piti's wedding. But it's much more than that; it's a portrait of a complex country most of us will never visit. It's told without hyperbole but in honest language and stories, providing depth and complexities that can't be captured in 60 seconds on the evening news.

The book is divided into two sections--the trip for Piti's wedding and the return to Haiti six months after the earthquake in 2010.

This one gets a five for Alvarez's writing alone. I was disappointed in the production quality of the book. The photos scattered throughout were muddy and too small. Especially with a book with a smaller trim size, the photos should have been placed in their own signature on better quality paper. The toothy paper used for the text was a poor choice for photos--especially small ones. I get wanting to place them alongside the story they are supposed to illustrate, but honestly, A Wedding in Haiti would have been better off without them given the quality.

Still, I suppose most people read a book for the author and the story. I suspect it's just a few freaks like me who work in the industry and notice things like this.....
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wedding in Haiti.