Paul's Reviews > The Life Of Brian: Screenplay

The Life Of Brian by Graham Chapman

May 11, 12

bookshelves: assorted-rants-about-stuff, god-botheration

I was standing around at work in the communal pile of dirty dishes and disease-ridden mouldering food called a kitchen and there was a copy of the Sun newspaper open on one table and a woman I knew was looking down the list of BRITAIN'S FAVOURITE MOVIES which The Sun had printed that day between giant photos of almost naked girls and denunciations of foreign clerics.

Life of Brian was No 3.

The woman pointed it out and said "That's hilarious, it's probably my favourite film of all time."

Plucking up a certain amount of courage, I said

"But you're a Jehovah's Witness. Isn't it a bit blasphemous?"

She thought for a moment and said "I suppose... it is ... a bit offensive. But it's so funny."

Jehovah's Witnesses can be cool.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Life Of Brian.

05/10 marked as: assorted-rants-about-stuff

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie Davis Also one of my favorite all time movies.

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle

Words to get us through many a travail.

message 3: by B0nnie (new) - added it

B0nnie This *is* a hilarious movie, and a pretty harsh parody on religious zealots but respectful to the idea of Jesus I think.

message 4: by Paul (new) - added it

Paul That is very true but you have to have a few brains to spot that. And it heartened me that someome who was a member of what is considered to be a fairly repressive cult was able to do so.

'People called Romanes they go the house'?

message 5: by B0nnie (new) - added it

B0nnie Paul wrote: "That is very true but you have to have a few brains to spot that. And it heartened me that someome who was a member of what is considered to be a fairly repressive cult was able to do so.

'People..."

lol, yes that is a classic. I have this book somewhere, but I guess it's not needed anymore. The scripts and everything are easily found online. I don't recall ever knowing a Jehovah's Witness - Mormons, Hutterites, Seventh-day Adventists, yes but never a JW, unless you count a brief no thanks at the door.

message 6: by L.H. (new)

L.H. Thomson If this is the copy I read years ago it reinstates the Mad King Brian scene among others.

message 7: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 My Dad's family are in the JW category. We're not. They don't get to have Christmas! My cousins wake up on a randomly appointed day of the year and receive a pile of presents which are definitely totally not replacement Christmas presents.

message 8: by Paul (new) - added it

Paul Random?? how does that work? This year it's...... March 27th! Huh?