Harrietthespy's Reviews > Norwegian Wood

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

May 14, 12

bookshelves: book-club
Read in May, 2012

After only reading my first Murakami novel a few months ago, and enjoying it against the odds (such as the countless "If you're new to Murakami, you'll probably hate 1Q84..." Amazon reviews I trawled through) I was keen to get stuck into what is often perceived as his finest. Although I wasn't disappointed with Norwegian Wood, there were a number of elements to the story that were slightly niggling, e.g. the slightly corny introduction and close from the grown up Toru; the 1960s backdrop, which didn't especially enhance the story; his fascination with boobs. Nonetheless, I was pleased with the wide variety of characters, each who had very individual personalities of their own, especially Reiko, who proved to be a far more interesting than her ill-fated friend, Naoko, whose fragility I found so tediously drawn out. I also felt that narrator, Toru could've done with a smack in the face at times - and was pleased when Midori put her foot down to his vapidness when no one could hear my screams at the page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Norwegian Wood.