Kelly Knapp's Reviews > A Fatal Debt

A Fatal Debt by John Gapper

May 11, 12

Recommended to Kelly by: Goodreads Firstreads giveaway
Recommended for: doctors, psychiatrists, traders. mystery/intrigue buffs
Read from May 09 to 10, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: once

It wasn't the writing with which I had difficulty, but the plot. The story just didn't capture my interest.

Dr. Cowper is a psychiatrist. One evening a wealthy man is brought to the hospital by his wife. She fears that he is planning to harm himself. Cowper get him to self-admit. When the patient wants to return home, the Doctor is "encouraged" by hospital administration to release him. One week later, the patient murders a man. His attorney decides to use the early release as part of the defence.

Suddenly, Cowper finds himself attacked and his home vandalized. Then, he is at the center of a grand jury hearing, where he must break doctor/patient confidentiality. But everyone appears to be lying and he wants to know why. Was he a convenient scapegoat, or worse? Was it possible that he was used in a set up?

With the encouragement of his estranged father, Cowper decides he must know. His career, reputation, and financial future are at stake. But is he ready for all of the answers.

If I had been able to become involved with the characters, I might have given it three stars, but I couldn't even empathize with the protagonist in this story. He just seemed wimpy and whiny to me. I hope that the author finds readers to enjoy the book because his writing isn't all bad...it just wasn't my speed/type of story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Fatal Debt.