Hallie's Reviews > Crewel

Crewel by Gennifer Albin

Jan 28, 13

bookshelves: ya
Read in January, 2013

It probably was never going to be a favourite for me, given that extremely dystopian novels tend to make me both cranky and anxious, but I loved the idea of the spinsters - girls who have the talent to see and manipulate the strands that make up the fabric of life; and who have to be 'chaste' too. Neat and intriguing. But the more it went on, the more that desperately unbalanced power structure got to me, and the less I could understand why Adelice never learned that antagonising those in power who already hated her was deeply selfish as well as stupid. Someone else almost always paid for it too.

When it seemed to be straight fantasy, I liked the world, but the science fictional elements that were introduced later rather spoiled that. (Okay, maybe that generic analysis is less than accurate, as I started losing - uh oh, I really need to resist saying 'losing the thread', don't I? - a good sense of whether the plot was muddled or I was being dim and not following it.)

Might read on in the series, but it won't be for some time, so I can see how the next one goes.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crewel.