Lucy Furr's Reviews > Eric

Eric by Terry Pratchett

Aug 29, 14

bookshelves: discworld, fantasy, parody-satire
Read from May 11 to 12, 2012

This is the second time I've read Eric, and I still think it's an excellent Discworld book. Is it the best Discworld book? No, but it's not a bad one either (not sure if there really is a BAD Discworld book out there). It's easy to read, easy to get into and its full of some good laughs (and some fun parody.)

I think a lot of people see the "Faust/Eric" title and expect an in-depth Faustian parody/satire, but the first time I read Eric I noticed its size and got the impression that it, perhaps, was meant to be a short story that went too long to really be considered a short story anymore, and hence it was published as a stand alone. It would explain the lack of detail in some areas.

Eric comes off as an undeveloped character, but when you think about it, he's only thirteen. He really is undeveloped, as far as life goes. And while it seems like Rincewind is the one to have stumbled into the titular character's life, make no mistake, it's really the other way around. Eric is the one who has stumbled into Rincewind's world. Eric is a Rincewind book through and through, full of things you would expect from a Rincewind book (like constantly running from danger and the Luggage.)

It's not a bad book. Really, it's not. I think people are just too busy trying to compare it to other Discworld books, and that's something I try not to do. Pratchett gets to the point with this one fairly quickly, and it makes it a fast, easy to digest read. And really, there's nothing wrong with that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eric.