Lauren Murphy's Reviews > Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure

Holy Cow by Sarah Macdonald

May 11, 12

bookshelves: aww2012, aussie-author, memoir, india
Read in May, 2012

I was lent a copy of Holy Cow by a friend of my fiancé who told him I ‘must read’ this book before we go to India. So I did as I was told and picked it up and was glad that I did! It’s a sometimes hilarious, sometimes upsetting and sometimes inspiring story of a young Australian journalist, Sarah Macdonald who joins her boyfriend Jonathan to backpack around India and find her place in a country full of contradictions.

I loved her candid descriptions of Indian life, initially her disgust and confusion and later her endearing and protective views of the country she learns to love. From lessons with a guru to taking a vow of silence to waiting on news from her boyfriend in war-torn areas of the middle-east, Sarah is really pushed to her limits. She makes friends, loses her hair, trials various religious practices and ultimately figures out who she is amidst all the chaos.

I read out several snippets of Sarah’s observations to my fiancé and he too found it funny- if not a bit scary because we would soon be in India and perhaps having the same bizarre experiences as her. But Sarah didn’t turn me off my holiday to India, it’s just made me more excited to find out what this country is all about for myself!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holy Cow.