Marie Malyon's Reviews > Dragonquest

Dragonquest by Anne McCaffrey

7512050
May 21, 12

Read from May 10 to 19, 2012

I was lent this book along with nine others in the series by a good friend along with the recommendation they are his favourite fantasy books. I have to say now that I am at the second in the series I have not been let down.

Don't let the publication date of 1971 put you off! This has some seriously well developed female characters of Lessa, Kylara & Brekke who I fell in love with in this book. The developing relationships, emotional turmoils and childhood scandals appealed to me greatly and I love to read how they unfolded.

The narrative although complete fantasy comes to life with the political conflicts and the breaking of social customs being easy to relate to even today. The tension between Bender Weyr and the 'Old Timers' seems tangable and believable and the discoveries about the ancients, as well as the future are so well written I often get carried away into their world and forgot that I was living in the weyr.

My main criticism still stands, that the vast number of characters, places and dragon names all become very confusing and I found myself using the helpful little guide at the back more than once. The map at the front is also very helpful to track the characters across Pern as they fly between.

Recommended to all lovers of fantasy, can wait to read the next one!!

P.S. If any one finds a fire lizard egg please let me have one!!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonquest.

05/10/2012 page 137