Rabecca's Reviews > Willow

Willow by Julia Hoban

May 12, 12

** spoiler alert ** When I began reading your novel Willow I fell in love. Your writing made the story come to life. As I read it I felt as though I was living it. Willow is very deep, vivid, and descriptive. Your story grabbed my attention from the start making it impossible for me to put it down. I love books that do that.

Willow felt very real. I was able to relate to her character in more ways than one. I felt as though I could be her, telling the story. Or that she could be one of my friends. She felt so alive.

It is not often that I encounter well-written novels with accurate and realistic references to cutting. Your novel is definitely one of them. I love how the story is written from the cutter's perspective. It is very descriptive in showing the way a cutter thinks, acts, and behaves. I also like how Guy didn't understand nor agree with Willow's thinking and behavior (which is so true for people who have never cut) but still stuck around, cared for, and eventually fell for her. People who have never cut don't know or understand why someone would hurt themselves like that or why they don't just stop. But Guy stuck around to help Willow and be there for her if and when she needed him. That is such a beautiful friendship. Your story shows that cutting can be just as addictive as drugs or alcohol, which is a view many don't realize.

Which brings me to the point that I found your ending to be very realistic. From personal experience I know that it is very hard to walk away from cutting. It takes strength, devotion, and determination. This was expressed extremely well through Willow and her actions in the final scenes that concluded your novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Willow.