Lisbeth Avery {Domus Libri}'s Reviews > Scars

8282085
May 30, 12

bookshelves: three-stars, own-kindle, reviewed
Read from May 10 to 30, 2012

When authors try to write about difficult subjects (such as sexual abuse or cutting; which are both featured in this book), it either works or it doesn't. There's no "eh, it was ok". Most authors end up romanticising it, including Cheryl Rainfield. The book made cutting seem cool and a good thing to do, at least that's what I got from it.

This book isn't bad. It just isn't very good.

What really annoyed me was how for most of the book it was an angsty mess. Kendra, I get it, you're messed up. WHY CAN'T YOU SEE YOUR MOTHER IS TRYING TO HELP YOU? Instead, she loved her therapist for than her mother which I didn't get at all. I really found it odd.

I really enjoyed the mystery aspect to it which I didn't see coming (the mystery not the culprit). I thought it would be more of a self discovery thing (which it was as well). That was nice.

Characters:
Kendra was a depressed, angsty teenager with some problems *points to head*. She was sexually abused when she was a kid and was told by her abuser not to tell anyone who he was or he'd kill her. The messed up dude he was, he also showed her how to cut. So now she cuts and is really paranoid (well, wouldn't you be?). She can be strong at times but mostly she is in a pile, bleeding to death.

Meghan was strong on the outside and weak on the inside. She was a very nice girl and love interest. I really enjoyed reading about her. Meghan also came from a messed up house and I think she's depressed (I don't remember). Anyway, she was refreshing.

The mother was written in a way to make her seem like the bad guy. The dad was the good guy I guess. THe mother had no personality and really just needed to be there. That's the only reason she was there.

Plot:
I knew who the rapist was really early on. It annoyed me. Other than that, the plot wasn't too bad, if not really clichéd. It was a bit predictable but the romance was adorable. Don't tell anyone, but this is my only f + f pairing I've read. I've read plenty of m + m but no lesbian romances. :\ (totally shipping Malec btw).

It wasn't anything special, it just, you know, was ok.

What I liked and disliked:
Liked:
♦ f + f
♦ fairly interesting plot
♦ mystery

Disliked:
♦ Annoying MC
♦ Predictable plot
♦ Bland characters (aside from Meghan)

In conclusion:
This book doesn't really bring anything new to the plate. It was pretty mediocre and overdone. It's not like I haven't read this kind of book before. I don't recommend reading unless you really like this kind of book.

————————————————————————

Favorite Character: Meghan

For more reviews: http://domuslibri.wordpress.com/
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scars.

05/14/2012
3.0% "The formatting is horrible. I can't read it."
05/29/2012
12.0% 4 comments
05/30/2012
40.0% "Angst angst and more angst. Not impressed so far."