A.K.'s Reviews > Yellow Dirt: An American Story of a Poisoned Land and a People Betrayed

Yellow Dirt by Judy Pasternak

Jun 07, 12

Read from May 10 to 31, 2012

I just finished reading Yellow Dirt: A Poisoned Land and the Betrayal of the Navajos by Judy Pasternak. A book like this does two major things: not only can the reader begin to understand the disastrous consequences of uranium mining paid by the Navajo Natives, but there is also an element of warning for the future and environmental implications other communities might have to face as a result of disinformation and greed. I left this book, wondering, how clean is my water, really and is there ever going to be a level of clean that is clean enough. Living in Pensacola, FL the water samples test often for radionuclides, and other known human carcinogens, which although 'naturally occurring,' would not be occurring if it were not for the industry that contaminated the groundwater with it in the first place (I did some research). I have so many more thoughts and emotions surrounding the story in this book, but I'm saving them for a more useful purpose in the future. If you're looking for an engaging summer read, pick up a copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yellow Dirt.