Deanna's Reviews > Some Girls Bite

Jul 12, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads
Read from June 22 to July 12, 2012

I received this book as a result of a Goodreads Giveaway.

So...ok. This book started out really interesting: Girl out late gets attacked and to save her life is turned into a vampire, in a society where vampires and humans coexist somewhat peacefully. Well until as of late...where attacks like Merit's are happening and it appears vampires are to blame.
It is then explained that the vampires are existing in a "Mafia" like system - there are 3 different Houses that they could be affiliated with or they would be considered Rogue (self-explanitory). Merit was "saved" from death by Ethan Sullivan the Master of the House of Cadogan and since he is her "sire" she must now decide if she wants to pledge an oath to protect the House of Cadogan or become a Rogue vampire. She also has to come to grips with being a vampire and all the lifestyle changes that entails as well as putting up with a friend who finds out she's a sorcerer and a grandfather who knows all about the supernatural of Chicago while working with a sorcerer and a (shape)shifter.

Breaking this book down into three acts, the first was excellent! What happens to Merit, the backstory about vampires in the city of Chicago and everything she goes through during her first few days as a vamp. The second was VERY tough for me to read. It became boring and uninteresting - Merit still arguing with Ethan, STILL finding out about the vampires, STILL pouting about being a vampire. There was a lot of description and not a lot of action going on. It didn't start to get interesting again until the time for Merit to be sworn in with the 11 other "pledges" that were turned. It was still slow but things started rolling and actually HAPPENING and not being TALKED ABOUT happening. The "cliffhanger"-like ending got me so I will read the next book (eventually) to see what happens.

If you like vampire stories, tons of "details" and books that are a series then this is definitely the book for you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Some Girls Bite.

06/22/2012 page 1
0.0% "So excited to start this book! I love a good "vampire" story!"
06/27/2012 page 34
10.0% "Think I'll like this one!"
07/02/2012 page 188
55.0% "This book is starting to lose me. It's interesting but the story isn't holding my attention. I find myself distracted by "something" and stopping to go do it. The whole vampires "out in the open" and different covens is interesting but it's kind of progressing slowly which is why I think I'm losing interest. Hoping it'll pick up soon because it's a very interesting concept."
07/06/2012 page 200
59.0% "This is not keeping my interest anymore :( way too many details about unimportant things to the story."
07/11/2012 page 241
71.0% "I don't know what happened, I'm having to force myself to read this..."
show 1 hidden update…