Kwoomac's Reviews > This Is How: Proven Aid in Overcoming Shyness, Molestation, Fatness, Spinsterhood, Grief, Disease, Lushery, Decrepitude & More. For Young and Old Alike.

This Is How by Augusten Burroughs

2076898
May 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012, dark, death, nonfiction, reviewed, signed-copy, survival, self-help
Read from May 12 to 14, 2012

Last week I went with a friend to hear Augusten Burroughs read from this, his latest book. Now, he's a funny guy, so things started out with him relaying funny anecdotes and the audience snorting aloud. At some point, the talk went over to the dark side and he starts talking about rape and suicide and dying of cancer and all kinds of not-so-funny things. It was a tough talk to sit through and a hard book to read. But, still it's Augusten Burroughs. I honestly can't say I would've enjoyed the book were it written by someone else. Actually, I know I never would have read it. This is the lone book on my self-help shelf. I kept hearing his voice as I read the book, so that helped me get through it.

What I took away from this book:

The past does not haunt us. We haunt the past.

"Nothing worth having comes easy" is not about showing up early at the office. It's about showing up in your own life. And living inside the very moment you want to run away from.

Knowledge is important but naps are more important.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Is How.