Esteban Gordon's Reviews > One Hundred Years of Solitude

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

May 15, 12

Read from May 10 to 15, 2012

"The world must be all fucked up...when men travel first class and literature goes as freight." As the only thing I had read of Marquez had been "A Very Old Man...," I wasn't entirely sold on magical realism, but this slippery, circular masterpiece blew me away. I read it over a few days, but this is one novel that deserves to be read in one sitting. I would warn those that like to read a book intermittently over a long period of time that they could well be overwhelmed by the overload of similar names that occurs throughout the novel....and feel utterly lost. (Though, that may actually add to the atmosphere the author desires.) "In the dream he remembered that he had dreamed the same thing the night before and on many nights over the past years and he knew that the image would be erased from his memory when he awakened because that recurrent dream had the quality of not being remembered except within the dream itself."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Hundred Years of Solitude.