Patty's Reviews > How to Find Your Mission in Life

How to Find Your Mission in Life by Richard N. Bolles

1020899
I am rewriting my review of this book because I did not give Bolles and his book the credit they deserve in my life.

This short little book changed my life when I first read it twenty years ago. Richard Nelson Bolles wrote a very popular book, What Color Is Your Parachute, which I knew well since our library bought copies every year. I had not needed to use that book because I had been fortunate in my job hunting. However, I had noticed the section in the Parachute book, "Finding your mission in life". So when this essay was published separately, I purchased it for the public library.

Bolles wrote exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to know why I was on this earth - what bigger purpose I was working for. The three missions that are defined here made sense to me and I reread the book on a regular basis - for awhile.

Fast forward, twenty years. I still that I try to stand before God, love Her and see Her hand in the world. Also I still feel called to my job at a public library, but it appears that I have forgotten the second mission that Bolles talks about. The second mission is to do what you can to make this world a better place.

I have been so caught up in the drama and frustration of my life that I have not been choosing the path that brings more joy, love, kindness, etc. into the world. Why I had stopped rereading this book is a mystery to me, but I did. I have been posting my reading here for more than four years and I had not mentioned this book. I feel foolish. I had the ability to rethink my life and I just didn't bother.

I recommend this book to anyone looking to make her life the most fulfilling it can be. I suspect this is a popular gift for recent graduates. They will appreciate it when they take the time to read it. However, even those of us who are many years past our graduation day will find it useful.

Now I just have to make sure I don't wait more than four years before I read Bolles ideas again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Find Your Mission in Life.