victoria.p's Reviews > The Weird Sisters

The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown

120719
May 10, 12

Read in May, 2012

I picked this up in the airport on my way home last week because I'd forgotten to pack a paper book for those times when you can't have electronic devices on. I enjoyed it, though I'm not sure I actually liked any of the sisters. On the upside, the book did subvert one trope I was expecting with Bean and Father Aiden, and I also liked Rose's and Cordy's resolutions. I had a harder time believing in Bean as a person rather than just a caricature of a certain type of woman.

Also, for a book that is supposedly about a bunch of readers, nobody ever discusses the books they are reading. There's one brief passage about one of the sisters seeking something in all the books she read as a kid, and there's a lot of talk about them sitting around reading, but there wasn't as much intertextuality as I was hoping. I did like the first person plural type narration, which I thought was an interesting choice.

All in all, a good airplane read - if my flight had been longer, I'd have finished it and left it on the seat.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weird Sisters.