Cynthia Archer's Reviews > A Hundred Flowers

A Hundred Flowers by Gail Tsukiyama

Aug 26, 2012

Read from May 13 to 16, 2012

I received a copy of the e-galley of this book through Shelf Awareness. I historic fiction and especially am excited about this title. I will review it on GoodReads.
I really enjoyed this story. Its real appeal is that it is about an ordinary family. The time is 1958 and Chairman Mao and his army are in charge of China. The China of the past is gone and a much more stark and dismal one remains. The father of the family has been taken away to a re-education camp because of political crimes. His absence creates a void in the entire family, and nothing is as it was before. One bright spot for the family is the surprise addition of a 15 year old pregnant stranger who finds her way to their home as she is in the final stages of labor. She and her new daughter seem to bring the change that is needed to tip the scales from limbo to action in the lives of the family, particularly the grandfather.
The author did a marvelous job of bringing out the feelings of the characters, and she made me care about them and retain hope that somehow things would work out. This was a simple, but lovely book and I am very thankful to have the chance to read it. If you like stories about families and their interrelationships, you will certainly enjoy A Hundred Flowers.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hundred Flowers.