Lydia's Reviews > All But My Life: A Memoir

All But My Life by Gerda Weissmann Klein

Aug 16, 14

bookshelves: tear-jerkers, ww2-these-books, poignant-powerful, historical-lit-time
Read from May 10 to 17, 2012

This book is arguably the most touching, and heartbreaking Holocaust novel I have ever read. The Holocaust was such a horrific time, and it's almost impossible to believe that mankind would actually do such horrors. And still, there are people who are denying it. This book really gave me insight on what it was like for a Jewish teenage girl suffering during these times. Sure, there's Anne Frank, and her story is just as inspiring, but it has a tragic ending. Gerda Weissman Klein, the author of this memoir, survived all of the tribulation! Her perseverance and constant hope for life is just so stirring. Even the people around her recognize her "spark", and how her light never dies out. It's inspiring for her family, her friends, the people she meets in the labor camps, Kurt, and the readers who are reading this novel. It's well written, and descriptive about what actually happened, without being to gruesome or graphic. Klein's individual story was emotionally hard, some tears were shed as I read some of the parts. But I just believe that if everyone read this novel, there would be a lot more compassion for the victims of the Holocaust. It's a stunning book, I recommend it to anyone who's willing to read about such tragic times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All But My Life.