Barry Huddleston's Reviews > The Lost Secrets of Maya Technology

The Lost Secrets of Maya Technology by James O'Kon

May 10, 12

Read in April, 2012

After reading “The Lost Secrets of Maya Technology”, I came away with a much better understanding of the Maya and their buildings, technology, and culture. The book has a nice Bibliography and Index. It’s 319 pages are packed with great interior art and diagrams.

The color photos are simply incredible and I hope that New Page sticks with the style. The diagrams are large enough for my 53 year-old eyes and I appreciate the easy-to-view size. I was a little less impressed with the charts and topics like comparisons of Maya cement with modern Portland cement.

From time to time my eyes glazed over with some of the math. Did we need to be so detailed that we had to talk psi, mo scale, and 147,631,068 liters (couldn’t over 147 thousand work?) ? I noticed some odd punctuation spacing on the bottom of page 76 and a lack of spacing on the last line of page 77. It’s no big deal, it isn’t the first punctuation goober I’ve found and it wont be the last, Having said that, O’Kon’s personal anecdotes are golden and really make the book. I wish that he had used more of them.

I highly recommend “The Lost Secrets of Maya Technology” the book is a must read. If you decide to pick up one book on the subject, this is the book to get. Price, presentation, content, this book is a good bang for the buck.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from New Page Books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost Secrets of Maya Technology.