Richard Griffith's Reviews > Adam Bede

Adam Bede by George Eliot

Jul 13, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from May 27 to July 13, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adam Bede.

06/08/2012 page 144
23.0% "But I believe there have been men since his day who have ridden a long way to avoid a rencontre, and then galloped hastily back lest they should miss it.

It's no use filling your pocket full 'o money if you've got a hole in the corner. It'll do you no good to sit in a spring-cart o' your own, if you've got a soft to drive you; he'll soon turn you over into the ditch."
06/15/2012 page 212
34.0% ""The square o' four is sixteen, and you must lengthen your lever in proportion to your weight, is as true when a man's miserable as when he's happy; and the best o' working is, it gives you a grip hold o' things outside your own lot.""
06/20/2012 page 250
40.0% ""Mrs. Poyser was scrupulous in declaring that she had "nothing to say again' him, on'y it was a pity he couldna be hatched o'er again, an' hatched different."""
07/01/2012 page 368
59.0% ""But Adam could receive no amends; his suffering could not be cancelled; his respect and affection could not be recovered by any prompt deeds of atonement. He stood like an immovable obstacle against which no pressure could avail; an embodiment of what Arthur most shrank from believing in --- the irrevocableness of his own wrongdoing.""
07/07/2012 page 418
67.0% ""It is well known to all experienced minds that our finest convictions are often dependent on subtle impressions for which words are quite too coarse a medium.""
07/13/2012 page 624
100.0% ""But you told me the truth when you said to me once, 'There's the sort of wrong that can never be made up for.'""