Gulzar Malji's Reviews > I Want My Hat Back

U 50x66
May 10, 2012

did not like it
Read in May, 2012

This book is hilarious picture book and most anyone who reads this is bound to laugh at some point. However I did feel that as a children's book it did not deliver too well.

A bear misplaces his hat and dreads to think what he will do if he never sees it again. So he goes in search of it through the woods. He meets a snake, a frog, a fox a rabbit and a turtle, each time asking if they had seen his hat. When he talks to the deer, he realises that he now remembers where his hat is and goes and gets it. The bear eats the rabbit and takes his hat back.

I liked the illustrations in this book as they can be used to engage children but the book has a lot of sarcasm in which EYFS children will not understand. We want the children to learn that stealing is bad and violence is not the answer to solve our problems. Yet in this story the gentle bear turns violent at the end an kills the rabbit (implied). This book might confuse children and I would really exercise caution before you decide to read this to your class. It may be ok for KS2 and above, provided they get the sarcasm. Personally I would say that it should be avoided altogether
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Want My Hat Back.