Jodi Papazian's Reviews > Beautiful Creatures

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

May 21, 12

bookshelves: ya-reads
Read in May, 2012

With the movie coming out next year and the insane circulation of this in my department, I decided to give Beautiful Creatures a try. It wasn't too bad. I read one review that talked about not liking the narration of Ethan and I think that hit the nail on the head for me. His voice was too "feminine." It was hard to believe that it was a boy narrating the story.
Nonetheless, it was engaging enough. It was like an inverted Twilight. Instead of vampires the paranormal creatures were witches (although I don't think they liked being called witches - I think that they called themselves conjurers?) Like Twilight, it was a fluff read that provided a little bit of fun. While I probably will try the next one in the series, I am in no immediate rush to do so.
The content was appropriate enough where it is easy to recommend to older and younger YA readers. In spite of a strong (???) male voice, I think that its audience lies in female readers. I'll pass it along to the legions of Twilight fans, though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Creatures.