Bill's Reviews > Ememess issue 1

Ememess issue 1 by Michael Marshall Smith

May 10, 2012

bookshelves: horror, mystery-suspense
Read from December 01 to 02, 2012

Two terrific short stories by Michael Marshall Smith.

It seems most people prefer Hell Hath Enlarged herself, but I really loved More Tomorrow.

More Tomorrow was written in the 80s at the dawn of the Internet age. Remember the Usenet newsgroups? (They are still alive and well, btw.) Our story follows a young IT contractor who develops a fondness for one of his colleagues. As these are short stories, there's little point in divulging any of the plot (I rarely do that anyways), but this one delivered suspense in spades. Very good story!

I enjoyed Hell Hath Enlarged Herself as well, a story about three brilliant students developing a project that could change mankind. Great stuff.

Ememess melted my brain with Only Forward. Since then, he has become one of my favorite writers, one that I put aside special time to read.

I have to admit to not being a big fan of short story collections, only because they tend to be composed of hit & misses, but these issues are nice because there are only a couple of stories per volume. So far, these are two hits, so I highly recommend these.
And, if you still haven't read Only Forward yet, you really should. Then read Spares.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ememess issue 1.