Kate's Reviews > True Blood: All Together Now

True Blood by Alan Ball

May 11, 12

bookshelves: 2012, age-adult, graphic-novels, vampires
Read from May 10 to 11, 2012

Being a fan of both the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris and the TV series "True Blood", I had to check out this graphic novel. This is clearly based on the TV series and NOT the Sookie Stackhouse books. The artwork is based very closely on the actors in the TV series. The artwork is good, but the resemblance is just a little weird for me.

The story involves a creature called an imp shaloop - basically a crazy thing with lots of tentacles and teeth, who holds captive all the important characters from the show (after it kills off all the expendable Merlotte's regulars). The creature feeds off of shame and forces everyone to tell their most shameful story. Basically this just seemed like a weird way to get everyone in a room and dishing dirt. None of the shameful stories seemed all that shameful to me, actually, and nothing was totally surprising or revealing if you've watched the TV series at all. The characters seemed like flat imitations of themselves - the spark that they have on TV was not here. For me the conclusion was really weak - they didn't really "defeat" the creature, and I didn't think the creature got the revenge it was looking for, either.

There was a short lead-in to the next story arc but I won't be looking for volume 2.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Blood.