Shawn Sorensen's Reviews > A Confederacy of Dunces

Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: humor, fiction
Recommended to Shawn by: Rob from work
Read in October, 2008

Never thought a character could belch his way into my heart. I just could not get enough of Ignatius Reilly, who has been sheltered for so long he has impeccable diction and vocabulary but horrible manners and heroic self-centered-ness. What really brought me around, after thinking Ignatius a bit convoluted in the middle passages, was how the other characters grew tired of him or simply used him for their ends. His mom started threatening to take him to the insane asylum, his boss at the hot dog vendor-ship gets sick of him quickly, and Myrna Minx, a do-gooder from his college days, looks at Ignatius as the perfect 'project'. The book didn't have as much New Orleans flavor in it as I thought it would, and I think it might have carried more weight (pun intended) had Ignatius had a close friend or girlfriend. It may have been funnier that he didn't have a close confidant, but then again I'm sure the author would have made it a hilariously transparent relationship. But the dialogue and accent of each character is superb, much like it greatly helped the movie 'Fargo', for example. The better part is that each character stands up for themselves and speaks their mind. That's how they can even stand being around Ignatius, who gains weight throughout the book (mainly from drinking too many 'Dr. Nuts'). This book is ALIVE with energy, humanity and humor.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Confederacy of Dunces.