Dave Russell's Reviews > My Wicked, Wicked Ways

My Wicked, Wicked Ways by Errol Flynn

Jan 25, 15

bookshelves: autobiography, nonfiction
Read in August, 2007

I've never read anyone wallow so gloriously in their own evil--and evil is the only word for it. The womanizing was apparently the least wicked thing he did. He was a slave trader in New Guinea, for God sakes!
So, I obviously didn't come away liking him as a person. But as a writer he was remarkably good, in a glib, raconteurish type of way. It reminded me of Humbert Humbert, the unctuous, self-justifying narrator of Lolita. He is describing his own evil acts, but doing it in such a way that you begin to feel sympathy for him. As if no one that witty and sophisticated and self-pitying could possibly be a child molester.
In the end, what more can you say about a man who met his second wife at his first rape trial?

Update:
The day before yesterday TCM showed Errol Flynn movies all day long, as well as a documentary about him. Watching some of his movies again, I've changed my mind about him as an actor. He could give a good performance when he believed in the movie (e.g., Objective, Burma!) The problem was he didn't like doing the kind of films they cast him, and it wasn't until late in his career when he could no long swash a buckle, that he got the roles he wanted.
Also, the documentary made clear that his autobiography was mostly just good literature (i.e., total bullshit, well told.) Ironically, the fact that he's a liar makes him not as bad a person as I thought.
17 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Wicked, Wicked Ways.

message 1: by Tate (new)

Tate Sweet Mary, sounds like an awful . . . great book!

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Good review, Dave.

Dave Russell Have you seen The Sea Hawk? I thinks a better Errol Flynn pirate movie than Captain Blood. But yes, his life (as told by him) would make a great movie.