Paris's Reviews > The Siren's Song

The Siren's Song by Jennifer Bray-Weber

May 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012, netgalley, historical, romance
Read from May 10 to 13, 2012

I am a fan of pirates, I love pirate movies, I love seeing the pirates every year for Seafair, but even though I have always liked pirates I realized when I started this book that I’ve never read a pirate book. The Siren’s Song was everything I expected a pirate book to be. Captain Thayer Drake has his issues, is tall, dark and handsome and loves his rum. His crew is perfectly piratey, gruff, but with a rarely seen tender side and I would love to learn more about Drake’s first mate Valeryn.

I have not read any of the other books in the Romancing the Pirate series, but I was able to jump right into the series without missing a beat. I usually don’t like to skip ahead in series, but there doesn’t seem to be much tying the series together besides the romance and pirates themes, so you do not have to read either of the first two books before reading this one.

I have to say that I liked the Gilly wasn’t perfect and that neither was Captain Drake. Although you expect a pirate to have his vices and his issues, you just never really know when it comes to romances. It was a nice change of pace that Gilly had her vices and issues, almost always there doesn’t seem to be much wrong with the leading lady.

My only complaint about the book was that it was a little too wordy at times and that I had to fight from skimming pages to get to the next big part of the book. I thought the end was great and I enjoyed that Gilly didn’t sit back and take everything that happened to her. I’m not sure if I’ll read more of this series, but if I do, I know that the author will not disappoint me with deliciously dark and messed up pirates and beautiful women who rock their pirate world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Siren's Song.