LMM's Reviews > First Grave on the Right

First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

Aug 31, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-pnr
Recommended for: Cat/Bones, Kate/Curran fans and The Succubus series when it started.
Read from August 29 to 30, 2012, read count: 1

I didn't think I was going to like this when I first started reading it but it was really entertaining. When I started it, the humor felt forced & the one liners so incessant, I felt like the author was trying to bludgeon me to find the character likable. Each punchline resulted in a "Ba Da Bump!" in my head.

However, I definitely got past it pretty quickly & ended up reading this overnight. It was well paced, pretty clever, I got used to the humor (or it genuinely chilled out & felt more natural), I liked the characters, the 2 story lines (Charley's & Reyes origins and the main plot mystery).

Overall it was very readable, surprisingly easy to follow (& I say surprisingly b'c there was a lot going on & the MC doesn't even know her full story yet), it held my attention and couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next. The chemistry between Charley & Reyes was also pretty palpable.

I liked the reveals they were good, they didn't blow me away but they were solid b'c the author wasn't trying to be too clever. The main mystery was understandable. I find with so many authors who try for mystery that one of a few things tend to happen...
A). They get lazy & lack heart (yeah..looking at you Harris) so it winds up being boring & flat & makes no real sense in the scheme of things.
B). They genuinely can't think of anything else & believe they are creating a great whodunit to boot.
C). They go completely over the top by trying to be so 'clever' that it ends up being telegraphed practically from the beginning & therefore winds up being a convoluted mess in actuality.

Nope, Jones handled the 2 parallel (well 3 actually) story lines well. Like I said it wasn't mind blowing but the main whodunit made sense & the Charlie/Reyes storyline is starting to take a nice shape & I understood it. I liked finding out who Reyes was, that was one I don't think I've read before. I can't wait to learn more.

I'm really looking forward to the next installment & hope it's even better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Grave on the Right.

Quotes LMM Liked

Darynda Jones
“If I couldn't be a good example, I'd just have to be a horrible warning.”
Darynda Jones, First Grave on the Right

Darynda Jones
“When fighting clowns, always go for the juggler.”
Darynda Jones, First Grave on the Right