Kamas Kirian's Reviews > The Unconquered: In Search of the Amazon's Last Uncontacted Tribes

The Unconquered by Scott  Wallace

Aug 16, 12

bookshelves: anthropology, biography, jungle, non-fiction, science, south-america
Read from July 28 to August 16, 2012 — I own a copy

Slightly disappointed by this tale of a FUNAI team exploring the Amazon jungle to determine the health and living boundaries of an uncontacted indian tribe. It was more the observations and fears of the writer than a true adventure story. The team leader seemed rather bipolar. While it is common for expeditions under adverse conditions to become rather fractious, it seemed like much of the problems were caused by Possuelo himself. FUNAI itself reminds me a lot of the UN Peacekeeping team that was in Rwanda; unable to do anything but try to talk people out of what they are doing. While the information in the book is good, I was underwhelmed by the book overall. For an Amazon adventure, I would instead recommend The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard or The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann.

The eBook was formatted well, with no spelling or grammar errors. There are a couple of maps in the front, and several photos in the pages.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unconquered.

07/28/2012 page 74
15.0% "fairly interesting so far"
07/30/2012 page 165
33.0% "I'm a third of the way through the book and nothing much has happened yet."
07/31/2012 page 212
43.0% "It's keeping my interest, but that's about all. I'm slightly disappointed."
08/07/2012 page 265
54.0% "It's keeping my interest, but that's about all. I'm slightly disappointed."
08/14/2012 page 410
79.77% "FUNAI reminds me of the UN peacekeepers in Rwanda, completely powerless to do anything except talk people out of doing what's wrong."