Christy B's Reviews > The Janus Affair

The Janus Affair by Pip Ballantine

1204629
May 10, 2012

bookshelves: arcs-and-galleys, favorites, fiction, historical-fiction, fantasy, neo-victorian, mystery
Read from May 13 to 16, 2012

Books & Braun are back in another harrowing (and unauthorized) adventure!

Eliza has dragged Wellington into another case that is personal for her. An adamant suffragist, Eliza notices a pattern that several of her sisters have been disappearing into thin air; literally! Fearful for her friends and for the future of the movement, nothing is going to stop her from finding out what's up, not even the Ministry.

Even more thrilling than its predecessor, The Janus Affair is filled with even more sketchy characters, hilarious dialogue, drop-down drag-out fights, and more scenes with my favorite Italian lady assassin: Sophia del Morte. Hell yes, she had a lot more scenes in this book than the first, so I got my wish! She stole every scene she was in, without a doubt. I don't know what it says about me that my favorite character in the series is an assassin, but I can't help it: she's fabulous and smart and lethal. Oh, yes, and this book also had a lot more strong, interesting female characters. I love this series for that.

The action and fight scenes were very easy to follow, usually, I get lost during them. The whole mystery with who exactly was causing all these women to disappear was well done. It literally was a mystery to who it was, and I was surprised when Wellington discovered who it was. Because, I mean, who else would have figured it out?

I can't wait to follow Eliza and Wellington (and hopefully Sophia) in the next book. Hopefully, I don't have to wait too long!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Janus Affair.

Quotes Christy B Liked

Tee Morris
“Right then," Campbell began, his tone so civil it was offensive. "May I have your name for the record, Miss...?"

"Eliza Braun," Eliza sneered. "Here, I'll spell it for you -- B-U-G-G-E-R-O-F-F.”
Tee Morris, The Janus Affair

05/13/2012 page 74
05/15/2012 page 348
81.0% "Can barely put it down. So much better than the first book."
show 3 hidden updates…