becca's Reviews > The Good Father

The Good Father by Diane Chamberlain

May 24, 12

bookshelves: early-review-book
Read from May 14 to 15, 2012, read count: 1

Firstly, many thanks to Harlequin UK for granting me the early review of this book for which it was kindly received via Netgalley. The arc was sent as a download version onto my laptop to read via Adobe. When i was granted access to review this book, i was beyond excited and happy! Diane Chamberlain is one of my favourite authors and therefore i had high expectations for this book before i even read the book description.

Before i say anything, i have to say that OMG, I LOVED this book! I had every right to have high expectations of it and it definitely exceeded these. I went through so many emotions with this book; hope, joy, sadness, happiness, relief, love, tragedy, warmth to name a few and i felt i went on a journey with the characters. I could not put it down, it was a page turner because i had to know what was going to happen and i finished this book with a day and a half. The storyline was told from three people's point of view, who aren't necessarily connected in the beginning but the connections slowly unravel to show how they all tie together and why they are all important in this story. We get the views of Travis, Erin and Robin. Travis is the father of the little girl; Bella, Erin is a woman that Travis and Bella see regularly at the coffee shop and Robin is Bella's mum but why she is not involved is explained later in the book.

From these main characters (there were several other characters in the book that were part of the storyline) i have to say that i took to them all, i felt something for all of them because they had each experienced loss and tragedy in their life, and none of them had any malice about them. Travis is an amazing guy, putting his daughter first throughout and the love he feels for her is so evident that you can feel it. Through is life with Bella, you begin to fall in love with the absolute cuteness of this little girl who has her parents' determination, resilience and strength. Travis seems to attract bad luck though, no matter what he does. There is such desperation also with this character to get his daughter back! He only wanted to do good but made a bad decision. Erin is a character who is going through so much, once again, the reader can really sense how she is feeling and can sympathise with her, she seems so lost in life that Travis and Bella give her a purpose in life. Throughout the story Erin's character goes through a journey, one of working through heartbreak and grief; and coming out the other side, gaining strength, determination and growing as an individual. Robin, is also experiencing loss and tragedy and living a 'double life' almost, she is a kind, warm hearted character and she also is on a journey throughout the story. She also grows as a character, becoming stronger and more determined.

With all this occurring with these characters, the story could easily become too much, complex and confusing. However, this is not the case because the story is very slow paced, which works perfectly as it let's you take the information in, and digest it, which enriches the story on all levels. Whilst being such an emotional book, the writing is beautiful. The reader isn't feed the information about the characters, you discover it yourself, you see the underlying messages, you are able to use your imagination more because you discover how it is. Also, including all this is an element of suspense throughout the book, wondering what will happen, how does it all tie together, is it all going to 'come good' at the end or has he lost Bella forever. In my view, there is nothing that would make this book any better, i was so sad it had finished but when i saw there was an epilogue i did a little scream because i love these. This book really has stayed with in and in fact i could read it again :)

I gave this book 5 out of 5 stars because I well and truly LOVED it.
*****
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Father.

05/14/2012 page 64