Chessa's Reviews > See You in a Hundred Years: Four Seasons in Forgotten America

See You in a Hundred Years by Logan Ward

Sep 18, 08

bookshelves: go_local, environmentalist, memoir, non-fiction
Recommended to Chessa by: Blogging Bookworm
Recommended for: living off the land fans, go local fans
Read in September, 2008, read count: 1

Logan Ward and his wife and two year old leave Manhattan to embark on an adventure where they try - as much as is possible - to live like dirt farmers in rural Virginia in the year 1900. They grow and preserve their own food, raise and milk a pair of goats and some chickens, and deal with a somewhat disdainful horse as their mode of transportation. What they didn't expect to necessarily find was such a supportive community, especially since they were newcomers to the area, and Yanks at that.

I really liked this book. I just wish there was more! I'm still really curious what happened to them after they rejoined the 21st century. Gonna have to see if Ward has a blog. :) It is in the same vein as Better Off, but the writing of See You in a Hundred Years is infinitely better and the book has much better structure. The only thing I wished for was a "cast of characters" because it got confusing which neighbor raised/did what and who was attached to whom. Other than that, I highly recommend this book to anyone who ever wanted to throw it all away and just be a subsistence farmer. A bonus is hearing about their two-year-old, Luther, who is hilarious.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read See You in a Hundred Years.