Tom's Reviews > A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather Than Nothing

A Universe from Nothing by Lawrence M. Krauss

May 10, 2012

Read in May, 2012

This a fascinating book that leaves me pondering it now several days after I finished reading it. The author, a noted cosmologist, posits that our universe was created 13.72 billion years ago out of....
nothing! Sounds crazy, but the case he makes is backed by some of the latest discoveries in the always changing field of cosmology.

My main difficulty with this book is that it is directed toward a general audience, but the author presumes the reader will be more conversant with the mathematics underlying quantum theory and relativity than most people actually are. (While I can just begin to understand the concept underlying Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, I can't begin to fathom the mathematical intricacies of the Schrodinger wave equation, or to grasp how the variables inside it play against one another.) Given the complexity of these fields, perhaps Mr. Krauss simplified as much as he could, though.

This book has stirred some controversy because if this theory is correct or even points in the right direction, it fairly well eliminates any need for any deity to account for the existence of the universe, and hence of us. So given my perspective, I liked it a lot!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Universe from Nothing.