Beanbag Love's Reviews > The Governess Affair

The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan

May 10, 12

Recommended for: historical romance enthusiasts

Courtney Milan is in a league of her own. I can't say enough about how refreshing her writing in this genre is.

I'm constantly annoyed by contrived misunderstandings. They simply don't happen in Milan's work. If there's dishonesty of any kind, it plays out organically rather than in a gimmicky fashion meant to delay events.

This is a shortish novella but the arc is realized organically and it sets up her new series nicely. The lead characters are engaging and sympathetic. They're smart and funny and their chemistry is undeniable. Everything I loved about Milan's Turner series seems to be in place for this series.

Milan is a wonderful voice against the agency pricing model. Coming from a published author, it's nice to see. This is a self-published work that sells for a mere 99 cents as an e-book. If you haven't read her yet, this is the perfect opportunity to expose yourself to her work. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Governess Affair.

Keri Great review Bean and I agree whole-hardheartedly. Can't wait for the next Sinister book to come out.

Beanbag Love @Keri, I know! I'm dying to get my hands on the first full-length Sinister Brothers novel.

message 3: by C.C. (new)

C.C. Galloway You know, I tried a couple of her Turner series books and they just didn't work for me. I could tell the writing was well-done, the characters were rich and nuanced and for some reason or another I just never connected with her characters. (I will say, I remember that she had some of the best lines of historical romance ever).

♡Karlyn P♡ Nice review. I read this a few days ago and LOVED it. I agree, she really is pulling out into a league of her own and this was a great setup for what looks to be a fantastic new series.

Beanbag Love @CC: I'm sorry you didn't like those books. I loved them! She's my number one historical romance author crush right now. ;)
@KarLynP: She really does everything I've always wanted romance authors to do. She makes her characters communicate with one another. And trust one another. That's so crucial. I'm so tired of romantic leads jumping to the worst conclusions about the person they're supposed to love. *sighs* I can't wait for The Duchess War.

KatLynne Nice review Beanbag. I really liked this one and CM is one of my fave authors. Like you, I love how her characters communicate with one another.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Nice review, Beanbag! This was my very first CM read and I enjoyed it. :-)

John Hennessy Nice review Beanbag. CM is certainly a refreshing voice in the HR genre. I downloaded this free off Amazon today and so far it is a wonderful story.