Armand's Reviews > Floating Holidays

Floating Holidays by Christopher Torockio

Apr 13, 10

bookshelves: genre-mod-lit-fic, read-2008, source-indy-bookstore
Recommended for: People who like contemporary novels w/ a comic edge.
Read in May, 2008

Notes in no particular order:

This is a novel.

This book centers on the lives a number of people who are affected when a major Pittsburgh-based power company , Electro-Lite, announces a brutal rounds of layoffs.

Pittsburgh itself plays a big role in the book and the author does a nice job of making us feel like we are there. (And I've never been there)

There are some nice touches of humor in the book especially in the playful and occasionally boisterous relationship between Michael Dunne (one of the main characters) and his good friend / co--worker, Alex. The funniest moments (in my mind) involve Michael's constant dreams about his tooth falling out and a wonderfully described scene during which a flailing minor character falls back in his chair during Thanksgiving dinner and falls back into a pie cart.

Some of the ideas of this book center on the notion of announcing a truth to the world and a lot of plot hinges on Michael Dunne admitting too much (telling the truth) at a press conference about the downsizing. This is echoed later when his wife announces that she is pregnant over the same falling-down-guy Thanksgiving dinner.

The character I liked the most was Toby who is the head of security at Electro-Lite, a very decent and down-to-earth man who has trouble communicating with his only daughter.

All in all a solid read. The author brings a strong sense of character and dialogue to the book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Floating Holidays.