Jacob Proffitt's Reviews > Sacre Bleu: A Comedy D'Art

Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore

May 25, 12

bookshelves: audible, crude-language
Read from May 10 to 24, 2012

If you've ever read a Christopher Moore novel before, all I really need to say is that this one is about late 19th Century French Masters (as in artists). If you haven't ever read a Christopher Moore novel, nothing I say is going to prepare you to read this one. When Moore takes on a historical period/event/person, I always wonder how much of the things he writes are historically documented. Some of the coincidences seem almost like they have to be artistic license even as you suspect that they probably aren't. Sacré Bleu paints a (mostly) sympathetic portrait (see what I did there?) of artists in Paris in the late 19th century, and wonders if there might not be an explanation for how so many of them seemed to be a bit nutty. He includes a lot of names I recognize, even though I'm not into impressionist art at all.

Unlike most of Moore's other work, however, this one skips around quite a bit in time. While the time and locations are clearly marked, it can still be confusing. (view spoiler) However necessary, these jumps were marginally off-putting, and I encourage readers to do their best to push through.

In the end, it's not my favorite Christopher Moore novel. Still, I have yet to find one I didn't like and I seem to learn anew each time (to my delight) how much of a soppy romantic Christopher Moore is.

Note: this book also prompts a new shelf designation for me—the crude language tag. At least some of my friends aren’t going to enjoy a novel peppered with “the F-word” no matter how much I might not care. They should know that this is one of those books where they may be misled by my high rating.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacre Bleu.