Trudi's Reviews > One Past Midnight: The Langoliers

One Past Midnight by Stephen King

Over the years this has remained one of my favorite pieces of King's writing. In a phrase, IT IS AWESOME. The first time you read it there is so much mystery, tension, what the bleep mindfuck going on that it literally keeps you on the edge of your seat. As a science fiction story, I proclaim it a classic.

You really want to come to this novella completely blind, because the reveals are so rewarding you don't want to be robbed of them early. But I have discovered upon subsequent re-reads (and now my first "listen") that the story has legs no matter what you know or don't know when you begin it. As with The Long Walk, there are rewards every single time I read this story.

This isn't King at his most emotional or epic -- this is King at his most cut-throat, imaginative storytelling best. He is having delirious fun taking a group of people and putting them in an unknowable, impossible situation. He has created a locked room mystery -- a puzzle -- with a very real and logical solution, but I bet you five dollars he'll keep you guessing to the very end!!

This story is such kick-ass, high-octane energy you will fly through the pages and come out the end grinning like a monkey. I just love it.

[A word on the reader: Willem Defoe is pretty awesome except for the voice he uses when speaking for Bethany. Ahhhhh! Nails on a chalkboard. He makes her sound like an 80 year old Fran Drescher who's smoked and drank whiskey her whole life!]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Past Midnight.

message 1: by Daniel (last edited Jan 07, 2012 05:54PM) (new)

Daniel Um, confession: I always liked Fran Drescher's voice. :-\

Ya sold me, and I will totally read this someday soon (maybe for the next October line-up?).

Trudi LOL! I don't know what to say to that Daniel, only you may feel differently about Fran after her imbibing cigs and whiskey for eight decades! :o)

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel I dont know, sounds kinda sexy in a noirish way. "The dame gave off eight decades of whisky and a history of countless broken hearts, and I knew better; ya always know better, before you take a plunge you know's gonna hurt."

Trudi Hee! Whatever does it for you Daniel! ;)